Meeting Notes 2010-01-17-2
Notes by Cacophonous Joy
New name: BrainSilo (for space and group)
- We need a mission:
- Public version? and Private version?
- how to evict a problematic member?
- how many members can the board afford to pay for?
Membership: Membership Details:
- do what you want in hackerspace
- 24/7 access
- curfew laws apply (age and hours limit)
- can't have same guest >3 times in a month
- bring a guest, you're responsible for them and anyone they bring
- Student Membership - limited membership with set hours
- Scholarships for membership (work/ clean around the space to work off a portion of dues)
Membership Dues and How They're Collected: to be collected before February
- not paypal!
- not a federal bank!
- regular rate= $40/ mo. + 3hrs/ mo of work
- pay more, work less= $80/ mo.
- "will code for food" discount: $40/mo + work for 4 hours or pay x (need specific formula)
- someone needs to be managing those hours, Molly volunteered to track them/ assign jobs
- Can be waived if member purchases expensive, needed equipment for the space or extenuating circumstances (wallet was stolen)
- 550/ mo for 850-860 sq ft space
- 100/ mo for insurance
- 100/mo for internet
One Time Costs:
- Cost to become non-profit at a state/ federal level: $700 +
- $1500 needs to be reimbursed to Loki (as of today)
- Possible option of PTP set up for a deal?
- 15-20 members = sweet spot for dues vs costs. We have 20 @$40/mo.
- 20 ppl present at meeting can commit to $50/ mo membership fees
Board of Directors: Until we have a board Loki is our "benevolent dictator," who will accept input when selecting the board members
- sets up bank account (NOT at a federal bank)
- responsible for lack of funds
- works as general consensus with no member over another, incl founding members
- make sure the org is run in the original intended direction
- Board rep communities:
- At least 1 board member has non-profit experience
- Minimum 5 board members total